[drats_users] D-RATS 0.3.0-alpha2

Dan Smith
Fri Feb 27 17:39:06 PST 2009

Hi all,

I'm going to be tied up all weekend, so I wanted to get out another
alpha of 0.3 for people to play with.  I've posted it here:

  http://d-rats.com/download/beta/0.3-alphas/

Changes from last time might be a little hard to enumerate, but some
things to look for are:

 - Fix the double callsign transmission
 - Make events tab keep proper arrival order
 - Fix up handling failed sessions in events tab
 - Fix failure to send chat when enter key is pressed
 - Add ping events and position reports in events tab
 - Add ability to stop/cancel transfers in the events tab
 - Add a preliminary hook to open the map
 - Add some rough plumbing to get the basic bits of the map working
 - Add a prototype dynamic map source

The last one here is worth some explanation.  One of the things I want
to do while redesigning the UI is change how the map interacts with the
main window.  Along with that, I wanted to completely re-plumb how
markers are kept in the map window, and also open up the possibility for
 map markers generated from a variety of sources (i.e. other than the
static overlays).

To demonstrate the little bit of plumbing that I have so far, I've added
an example source that gets its data from the NSGS NWIS and a single
point.  The example point is the meter station on the Nehalem River in
my local area.  This river is a constant flood risk and people check it
feverishly during a storm.  If you load up this new version and center
the map over that item, you will be able to hover the mouse over the
icon and see the live (to the minute) river level.

This opens up the opportunity to have a variety of different items on
the map with varying bits of dynamic information.  Any data source that
has information with latitudes and longitudes could potentially be added
to the map (with the proper bit of code written to parse it, of course).

This next alpha is probably where we can start to enumerate things that
aren't working, although I'm sure the list will be long.  No need to
grind down on small details as there is a lot of that that doesn't work.

Enjoy!