[drats_users] D-RATS Public Gateway

Dan Smith
Thu Feb 19 07:50:48 PST 2009

> I've set up a copy of the D-RATS proxy on one of my external machines.
> We're going to try having a publicly-available proxy running all the
> time for easy testing and training, if people are interested.  I'm not
> promising long-term hosting here, but we'll see how it goes.

So, it's been running for less than 24 hours and people have already
joined and played around a bit.  That's good.

One of the things I think we should consider is keeping a "reflector"
(as you D-STAR people love to call it) network-only for testing.  By not
bringing in any RF links, the channel remains clean, reliable, and
easier to do some real testing without the issues that RF brings.

Perhaps we need two (or more) standard reflectors, one that is used for
network-only testing and training and the other that is open for people
to link their RF to?

Also, the repeater proxy application is very naive and hasn't had much
attention in a long time.  As a result, various things seem to be able
to hang it up.  It's not load, but I'm not sure what it is.  So, I'll
try to improve that a bit in the near future, so don't expect it to be
100% stable at the moment :)