[drats_users] Intelligent Proxy

Dan Smith
Mon Aug 31 12:50:32 PDT 2009

Hi all,

This has been a long time coming, but I just replaced the code running
the official ratflectors with new bits that are more intelligent.  The
difference is that the proxy operates on packets instead of a raw
stream, which means they won't repeat garbage (repeater tails, etc).
This will change the behavior a bit in that you won't see traffic
passing through unless it was received complete.  As a result, we can
allow anyone to attach RF to either ratflector without worrying about
junking things up.

Also, you should notice improved performance and accuracy of file
transfers through the ratflector(s).

Finally, and most importantly, the proxies will now direct traffic like
an intelligent switch.  This means that packets destined for a specific
station won't be sent to everyone via all paths.  This makes file
transfers between two clients not disrupt everyone else and not get sent
(unnecessarily) out of any attached RF links.

Let me know if you notice any strange behavior with the ratflectors
running the new code and/or if you have any comments.  This new code
will be in the repeater application in the next beta post, so that
people running their own ratflectors will get the smarter bits as well.