[drats_users] Picture crash

Arnold Harding
Sun Apr 26 11:37:03 PDT 2009

I discovered a couple more things after I sent the email.  Rather than
searching for my comments, I'll just put them here.
I probably do have a fairly marginal path to the repeater (K6LRG).
However, it works great on voice (yes I know data is different).  With
an HT outside where I have reasonable line of sight, I can talk on the
repeater on 440.  I have an outside antenna on the house, and it's in
the clear so it should "see" whatever without any other obstructions.
The main computer -M is using an ID-1 at 10 watts, and 1 watt works
clearly on voice.  The laptop -L is running into a 2820 running 17
watts on 440, and 5 watts usually works fine (see HT above).  Normally
the ID-1 is only voice and the 2820 is for everything including
playing with D-RATS, but I need 2 radios for this.

The ID-1 uses a USB cable, and the USB comm port device is in the
ID-1.  After I sent the email, I noticed that the ID-1 wouldn't
communicate with D-RATS, and D-RATS wouldn't send.  I exited, and
tried the ID-1 program, which also wouldn't talk to the ID-1.  So I
restarted the computer, and everything is back to normal.  The port
crash may have been at the point where blocks 13, 14, 15 & 16 failed.
I did not see any failed blocks message next to the % indicator before
that.  I did see the failed blocks yesterday, so it may have worked
perfectly to that point???

I like testing stuff, and marginal testing seems to be my specialty.
The group of us have had fairly good success sending files through the
repeater, but again, retries might fix it.  I'll gladly do more
testing, but it's a nice day and I have many other projects waiting
for me.

Arnold