[drats_users] Program Help Contents

Dan Smith
Fri Apr 24 20:05:32 PDT 2009

Hi Arnold,

> I have an idea for possibly adding slight instructions to the
> program without incurring a lot of trouble.  Many configuration
> pages have empty space.  Why not use it?  If the picture came
> through, I think you'll see my idea.  (If the picture didn't get
> through, then I'll post it somewhere.)

The picture came through, just under the limit :)

This is a good idea, however the "empty space" is not guaranteed to
stay, as I regularly add new configuration options that fill the
space.  Comparing the first pane on 0.2. and 0.3 is a good example of
that.  I would hesitate to add instructions in this way which could
either need to be removed in the future to make way, or would require
adding additional pages just to find more space.

Out of curiosity, is there any reason that the tooltips provided for
most of the configuration options can't house the required
information?  If we need to stuff more information into each of the
tooltips, that's certainly possible.

Another option would be a specific button which allows the user to ask
for information about a specific value.  If each of the configuration
options had a "?" button off to one side that popped up a larger help
bubble, would that be better?