[drats_users] Possible Who Is Online feature request

Dan Smith
Tue Apr 21 16:43:54 PDT 2009

> I have had my D-RATS client connected to the Ratflector since last
> night and it has been interesting to see a few things.  I've noticed
> the following stations (K8OMS, W4NWD and SV4LAX) announcing that
> they are now online through the normal "Sign-On Message" and I've
> been able to get a response at times from sending a ping to CQCQCQ.
> However when I ping them at a later time (several hours) there has
> been no response from a few of the stations, yet I haven't seen any
> "Sign-Off Messages" broadcast across the Chat screen.  I'm working
> on the assumption that these stations have the tick box enabled to
> send the Sign-Off Message.

Yep, as you and I just identified in our chat on the ratflector, I
think the socket is getting closed too quickly for the sign-off
message to go out.  I hadn't noticed this, so it's definitely
something to correct.

> If the Sign-Off message is meant to be broadcast, then it could
> possibly include a status message to remove the callsign from the
> Stations list.

Ah, that's a reasonable idea.  I really hadn't thought about that,
since it has historically always been just a chat message.  Good
idea... :)