[drats_users] WIKI & FAQ

Arnold Harding
Sun Apr 19 18:01:06 PDT 2009

OK, for the WIKI, this would be nice.  My comments for it below:

> It's been discussed here a couple of times, but not formally
> documented anywhere permanent that I know of.
>
> Here is some explanation of it, grafted from the list archives:
>
> | The pipeline settings shouldn't really affect how things go across
> | the gateway, but they do affect how quickly the file transfer
> logic
> | can recover from a bit of corruption, and how long your radio
> | transmits before asking the remote end for an acknowledgment.
> |
> | The "block size" setting defines the largest chunk of data that
> will
> | be sent with a single checksum.  If you have a single bit error,
> | this is the minimum amount of data that will have to be
> | retransmitted.  The larger this value, the less overhead, but the
> | more you have to retransmit in the case of a bit error.
> |
> | The "pipeline blocks" setting controls how many of the above
> blocks
> | get sent at a time before asking the remote end for a status
> report.
> | If "block size" is 256 and "pipeline blocks" is 4, then each time
> we
> | transmit, we will send 4x256 = 1024 bytes of data.  When those are
> | sent, the receiving side responds with a list of blocks it
> received.
> | If only two of the four were clean, then the sending side sends
> the
> | original two blocks, plus two more (since the pipeline is set to
> 4)
> | and the process repeats.
>
> Note that the "pipeline blocks" setting is the window size.  I
> really
> need to rename that in the UI.  If the above makes sense perhaps we
> can post it on the wiki somewhere for future generations.

Unless it's changed in the 0.3 version, the actual title in the first
'archive' paragraph should be "Transfers" since that's what needs to
get clicked on in the 0.2 versions.  I understand it completely.  Is
it really possible to make 32 blocks of 4096 bytes?  I'd really be
pushing my luck with those settings!

What about Tuning?  I don't know about Warmup, and I don't understand
why "Force transmission delay" can have a negative number, or what the
number does at all (seconds? ms? us?).

In the FAQ section "What baud rate should I choose?", the ID-1 has a
baud rate of 19200 (and the port is determined by the USB software).
I know not many of you might use an ID-1 for low speed data, but it
was one of the better choices for our use.

I noticed on the Ratflector web page, sending a Ping to CQCQCQ will
find out who is online.  Does this work at all on RF?

Arnold
KQ6DI