[drats_users] Ratflector?

Dave Cooley
Wed Apr 8 14:59:38 PDT 2009

-
> I was just thinking about that the other day. Wouldn't it be nice to
> have the proxy determine if the traffic was local, wan or rf and route
> accordingly. This would make the Proxy a very very valuable part of
> the D-RATS network.  From a bridge to a router so to speak...

Yep, I've had this in my head for quite some time now.  I believe I've
mentioned it here before.

Bridge to router isn't quite the right analogy.  Changing from a hub to a
switch behavior is really all that could be done without adding another
layer of protocol on top of what we have now.  At 900 baud, I really don't
think that making it truly routable is worth the waste.

Tomatoes, Tomotoes whatever you call it, would certainly open up some more
application possibilities.  The added intelligence will help to sooth some
of the ire I have experienced from some of the SYSops as well by keeping
unnecessary traffic off the repeaters.

As always, I will be waiting to break it with baited breath! :-)

73
N2LZ