[drats_users] Report on various D-RATS "stuff", including Alpha 11

Nate Duehr
Wed Apr 8 11:37:21 PDT 2009

Yeah, I think at least once someone started sending me a file while I was in
the settings screen.  That probably started a "session".  Perhaps it should
ignore input from the serial port when in settings menus?  Dunno.  You
mentioned you were working on some threading stuff... but I understand that
when you leave the settings sometimes things have to be restarted over in
the main thread.  (I really should go look at the code!  I just suck at
Python!  Haha...)

Obviously I was still setting things up and wasn't ready for that... so it
probably locked things up.  That's probably ONE scenario.  There was also a
lot of chat traffic on the frequency when I was going in and out of the
menu.  (Well, I think I only successfully exited the settings menu once,
every other time I had to kill it.  I wasn't in the mood to wait, perhaps if
I had, it would have "eventually" recovered.  (I was doing my "annoyed user
clickety clickety click on everything" impression last night instead of
waiting!  Hahahaha... we've all seen people that do that!)

>From what I was seeing, I couldn't tell if it was locking up upon hitting
"Save" or prior to that.

Oh, on the file transfer window, (perhaps this is a sign of the lockups and
not a UI issue), I could never type into the field on the top right... no
cursor, no ability to type there, even after I clicked in it.  (So that
would indicate that the lockups were occurring in that screen also,
perhaps?)  I could usually change tabs, but that screen's right side seemed
"dead".   The left side would update properly if I would toss a new file
into the dir and hit refresh, so the UI on that tab wasn't completely
dead... that one will probably need some more play...)

Will definitely play some more and see what we can reproduce.  I knew you'd
want the debug file, but I was unfortunately in a hurry just to get into the
"text chat" portion of the Net... since I was over 1/2 hour late in joining
due to the wackiness with the Mac.

By the way, I definitely DON'T think the Mac weirdness was a D-RATS problem.
I poked through the logs today, and even after loading the Mac drivers for
the GC232A from Iogear, and I never see any indication that the Mac ever
"saw" the device get plugged in.

If Debbie or anyone else who's on the Mac has any hints on where to see that
-- I hunted just about everything in /var/log) -- or where theirs show up --
or good recommendations on a USB/serial adapter that actually works without
brain damage on OSX 10.5.x -- it'd be nice to get that box working... but no
big deal if I don't...

Nate WY0X