[drats_users] Asus Eeee PC dRats install

Dan Smith
Fri Sep 26 20:24:05 PDT 2008

> All of the error messages were like this.
> The last two lines were:
>    tar:d-rats-0.2.6/: Cannot utime: Operation not permitted
>    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

This is probably because you're not root and it's trying to restore some
file attributes.

> I then went back to the terminal, and tried to run the d-rats (while in
> the d-rats.0.2.6 folder level). I tried just typing d-rats, and got:
>      bash: d-rats: command not found

The key here is a UNIXism.  You need to put "./" in front to run the
application out of the current directory.

> What I got in return was:
>   E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission
> denied)
>   E: Unable to lock the administraion directory (/var/lib/dpkg), are you
> root?

You have to do this as the root user.  That is distinct from /root and /
(which is *the* root).  Put "sudo" in front of the apt command and you
should be good.

So, the next steps are:

1. Run the apt-get commands described on the site and in my previous
mail with sudo in front to get them to work.
2. Run d-rats with the ./ in front and report back the (inevitable
error) so I can tell you what other packages to install :)