[drats_users] Slow Speed Data via reflector

Dan Smith
Thu Sep 25 14:14:32 PDT 2008

> ... but what could be cool is if you submitted your file to your
> local Gateway it stored the data up and then sent it through
> conventional high speed IP protocols to another Gateway where it
> re-disseminates a complete file. By going this route you'll never tie
> up a reflector you'll just make a small 5 minute max connection to
> send a file.

I've actually got this in my slides for the DCC talk this weekend.  I
think this is a reasonable thing to do, but I don't think it will really
solve the issue of being able to transfer files when the reflector is
linked (perhaps I'm wrong).

> Also, I would build in to the File Transfer protocol a limit that
> says you can't send a file larger than a conservative 1 Mb (less
> would be appropriate) on VHF/UHF frequencies.

I don't want to do this because if you're simplex, you shouldn't be
limited by anything other than your patience and heatsink.  If something
goes on the repeater, however, I can certainly see limiting how much the
repeater will allow before killing the transfer.

> By going the route of a Gateway side software it may open the door
> for the E-Mail capability and other uses too.

Indeed.