[drats_users] E-Mail SMPTE Connection

Les Rayburn
Wed Sep 24 09:04:06 PDT 2008

Dan,

I'll download the beta and play with it tonight. Thank you for your interest
in this issue.

D-Stars Comms only recently became a commercial product, so I apologize for
that bad link.

You're correct that D-Star Comms did not allow you to access your e-mail
client program such as Outlook, but rather had a simple e-mail form
implemented inside the software. It sounds like your beta is similar.

The issue of third party access and spam prevention was addressed by
limiting incoming connections to the RF side. In other words, if your
stations is acting as a gateway, allowing RF users to send e-mails via your
station, they were limited to outgoing e-mails only. If you received replies
that needed to be forwarded back to them, those have to be "accepted" by the
gateway operator and then forwarded by manually ordering the software to do
so. Does that make sense?

That way, the "gateway" station that is providing access to TCP/IP is
basically acting as the gatekeeper. It is NOT an automatic store and forward
type system. It automatically accepts e-mails from RF users and enters them
into the TCP/IP stream, but it doesn't work that way with replies.

RF users are basically "trusted" since in theory, no one but hams should be
using the radios. But e-mails that originate on the Internet side (replies)
have to be manually approved. A log of all RF traffic received is also kept
on the software.

Also note, that E-mail attachments are NOT allowed, which I think is a good
idea. Even small file attachments would take forever to download, and I
think really limit the usefulness of the tool. Our experiments with D-Star
COMMS found that the e-mail capability was best suited for "last mile"
applications or to give some limited e-mail capability to mobile users.
Think of it more like sending e-mail from your cell phone. Useful, but you
want to keep messages short and to the point.

But imagine being in say, Galveston, Texas and being able to send an e-mail
from your ID-800 mobile unit that said something like:

Galveston High School Shelter has immediate need for:

A. 100 bags of ice.
B. 28 additional dinner meals.
C. 11 additional cots and bedding.
D. Vehicle transport for one injured worker for transport to Texas City.
E.  Volunteer to replace inured worker, available for 8AM to 7PM duty shift.
Male volunteer preferred due to limited housing.

And instead of sending this via a voice circuit and then having it relayed
to the manager in Texas City, you could e-mail the request directly to him.
As someone who has sent hundreds of these types of messages by voice, I can
tell you that it's a god-send.

Looking forward to testing the beta! Thanks again Dan.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
ARES Alabama Section Emergency Coordinator
NCS-SHARES NCS-047
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
(205) 253-4867