[drats_users] Maps/how to display/where's the cache?

Rick Low
Mon Sep 22 16:07:48 PDT 2008

My D-RATS station map is up and displaying data, now. Thanks the assistance
from Dan and others. My intended application is as a participating station
in a local d-STAR network, with internet not available. Hence, map data has
to be pre-loaded. Here's what I learned during Sunday testing on the NV4FM-C
repeater here in the Washington, DC area:

-        It's important to enter your own station location in the correct
format, which is ddd mm ss (precede ddd with a minus sign for south latitude
and east longitude). These entry boxes are in the File/Main Settings window.
Note that if you type in the numbers, and hit a space, the program will fill
in the right symbols for degrees, minutes, and seconds (this is slick and
didn't know it from the web page).

-        Connect to the internet and bring up the map display View/Map or
Ctrl-M. You will probably see "ME" in the map window, and the program will
download the basic map graphics from the internet, filling in the
background.

-        Changing the zoom will cause additional map segment downloads.

-        IF you see "ME" displayed as "Penagrande" at Lat 0-degrees and Long
0-degrees there's been an error in the station location entry. Go back and
check your work.

-        You should scroll the map around to display all the reasonable
acreage you expect to display later.and again data will download from your
internet connection (where is the server, anyway?)

-        You may need to double-click on the map to expose areas to which
you cannot scroll.

-        In my configuration, while connected to the radio, two fixed
stations and one mobile station plotted on the map as small black text on a
highlighted green background. The mobile station "moved" each time the
operator transmitted his D-PRS position (exciting!). I'm wondering if these
can be changed to A/D-PRS symbols, and if so how do you do it?

What I don't know---can all the downloaded map data simply be transferred to
portable media, and loaded onto another client computer? And will the new
client computer recognize the data as usable? Sure would save a lot of
internet connection time J

73 Rick N6CY