[drats_users] Using D-Rats on a reflector

Dan Smith
Sat Sep 13 14:18:51 PDT 2008

> Using callsign routing should work fine with D-RATS but NOT in
> combination with a Reflector link.  Also I'm not sure if the rig sends
> the "RPT?" and "UR?" indications back to D-RATS, indicating "no you
> didn't route" or "yes you did route"... if that *is* available out the
> serial port, that would be pretty helpful for Dan... he could watch for
> that indication, in a special "callsign routed" mode.  But it'd have to
> be a user-controlled thing, since Reflectors and Dplus Gateway to
> Gateway links do NOT provide these indications.  (You always get "RPT?"
> back.)

The repeater status messages (UR?, RPT?, etc... I don't know what else
to call them) do *not* make it through the serial port.

It sounds to me like reflector data usage is going to be pretty messy
all around.  I don't think that multicast is as bad as you might think
because of the way I implement it.  The person controlling the session
controls who speaks and when.  There's no scenario where the client in a
multicast session would say "I haven't heard anything in a while, I
better send a NAK".  If the header/packet/whatever loss is intermittent,
then D-RATS could still recover the next time it makes a call for reports.