[drats_users] D-Rats Project

Dennis Rogers
Fri Sep 5 13:27:44 PDT 2008

Dan and Group,

       I was one of the Dstar Users during Hurricane Gustav using D-Rats
v0.2.3 at first with other users using various versions. A real mix of
versions
and D*Chat v???. So, Evan, KD4EFM and others all were having various
problems with text messaging coming through with extra characters and/or
the last few characters from the text message send through the SEND message
line.

       We all upgraded to v0.2.4 and all above issues were resolved. Next we
tried to send a small file of the bulletin via SEND Text file. It had errors
so that finally the transfer failed due to hitting the retry count. We also
tried sending a FORM filled out and same problem occurred with transfer
failed.
This transfer is through a gateway via a reflector hooked up to multiple
users. The reason for the information being sent was to support Hurricane
Gustav
from EOC to EOC via the NHC in Florida who wa sending the Public Advisories.

       Next, Evan, KD4EFM tried a neat trick to get us the bulletins by
sending them through CUT/PASTE into the SEND field of D-Rats, then hitting
SEND
button to send the text. This method worked flawlessly. However, as all of
us D-Rats Users would like to see the FORMS, SEND FILES, and other modes
work.

       I have played around a little with the GPS and MAP part of D-Rats via
simplex frequency, but not through the gateway or reflector/gateway mode
of operation. I intend on doing this after testing the new release(beta)
v0.2.5b6 using simplex first, then moving forward a step at a time. So, much
do with D-Rats, but it will and already is a GREAT application.

       Let me say with my last statement that you have ALL the necessary
pieces in your application that an emergency group or marathon, bike race,
etc.
would be looking for to use. FORMS are great, D-PRS is necessary, and
text/file transfers are very important. Its layout is easy to use and I have
needed
no HELP file to guide me. Setting up the radio to computer serial cable
could be covered with the one document I have showing a user how to make one
from scratch. Then, using a USB converter to connect to a COM port on the
laptop or desktop. This needs to be incorporated into your wiki pages
somehow.
I am not used to doing this other than text messaging, but I can send you a
nice clean file. I believe it is PDF document.

Looking forward to testing you application and getting back to you with
remarks.

--
Regards,

Dennis, N5VRP
n5vrp.satx at gmail.com

Dstar User / Gateway Admin / D-PRS Provider
ARRL Member
Cactus-Intertie Member
AMSAT Member, President's Club

73's from SATX, EL09rk