[drats_users] Problem sending GPS coordinates

Dan Smith
Tue Oct 21 09:17:59 PDT 2008

Thanks for chiming in here.  I don't actually use the external GPS stuff
myself much, and I only use it with a Garmin eTrex, which I think is
pretty simple.

> Check to make sure the Garmin is sending the NMEA data in the correct
> format. For example, my Garmin GPSMAP76CSx transmits NMEA 0183 version
> 3.01 -- I'm not sure exactly what that means but it could mean the
> difference between communicating and not, if D-RATS is looking for it in
> some other NMEA format. My GPS can also transmit ASCII or in a Garmin
> proprietary format. Maybe ASCII would work better? I do not know what
> the supported datarate is so I would have to test it to see if it
> supports sending data at 4800bps.

It definitely needs to be ASCII, and NMEA.  I'm not sure what the
differences in NMEA versions are, but my parsing is pretty simplistic.

Terry, if you still can't get it to work and you think it's all correct,
send me a debug log and I should be able to figure out why it's failing.