[drats_users] D-RATS 0.2.7b6 config help

Terry Breitenfeldt
Wed Oct 8 15:25:55 PDT 2008

I established a gmail acount and setup D-rats as you suggested, but outgoing emails are failing.
Any incoming email (to gmail) is automatically being picked up by D-rats successfully.
Do you have an idea why my outgoing email would fail?

I wasn't sure about my SMTP server.  My ISP is COMCAST cable, so I used mail.comcast.com

Terry - N7EXB

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 23:03:20 +1100From: dave at daves-portal.comTo: drats_users at lists.danplanet.comSubject: Re: [drats_users] D-RATS 0.2.7b6 config help

G'day Terry,

It is very early days with the email interface on D-RATS, in fact less than a week, but here's what is known so far...

You need to have an internet account that can be accessed through a POP3 (Post Office Protocol) server.  There are a number of these, but I don't know whether or not winlink.org has one available.

So that I don't confuse my everyday email with email that I want to receive via D-RATS (primarily during an emergency) I've setup a (free) unique account on gmail.com.  Remember also that you want to ensure that the traffic that could be passed across RF needs to be appropriate for the amateur service and what-ever your local licencing conditions are.

In my case I've basically set the parameters as follow:
 SMTP Server:   My normal ISP server smtp address, eg: mail.*.com (replace * with your ISP details) Force SMTP Reply-To:  my gmail email address, eg: waffle1 at gmail.com (note: this is not my real gmail address)POP3 Server:  The POP3 server I intend to use, eg: pop.gmail.com POP3 Username:  my gmail POP3 username, eg: waffle1 at gmail.com POP3 Password:  my gmail password POP3 Poll interval:  I set this to 2 minutes for initial testing, then increased it to 10 minutes for day to day stuff. POP3 Port:   Some POP3 systems requre usage of SSL (Secure Socket Layers).  For gmail.com set this to 995Socket flush interval:  didn't touch from initial settings Outgoing:  didn't touch from initial settings Incoming:   didn't touch from initial settings
If you setup something like a gmail address and you don't want to keep a copy of the email on the POP server then make sure you configure the account so that when you access it via POP (eg: through D-RATS) that it deletes it from the POP server.  Otherwise your account may have many messages stored on it that are no longer required.
  >  Does the configuration change if I'm connected to the internet vs. being in the field?

These settings are only for the D-RATS station connected to the internet.  The field stations don't require anything in these fields.
I hope this helps.  I've certainly had basic emails successfully flow in both directions across 2m simplex using D-STAR and D-RATS, thanks to Dan's efforts, but remember it is still early days and there is still a lot of development required...

Regards,

davidt, VK3UR