[drats_users] D-RATS 0.2.7b6 config help

Dan Smith
Wed Oct 8 06:59:51 PDT 2008

> You need to have an internet account that can be accessed through a POP3
> (Post Office Protocol) server.  There are a number of these, but I don't
> know whether or not winlink.org has one available.
>
> So that I don't confuse my everyday email with email that I want to
> receive via D-RATS (primarily during an emergency) I've setup a (free)
> unique account on gmail.com.  Remember also that you want to ensure that
> the traffic that could be passed across RF needs to be appropriate for
> the amateur service and what-ever your local licencing conditions are.
>
> In my case I've basically set the parameters as follow:
>
> SMTP Server:   My normal ISP server smtp address, eg: mail.*.com
> (replace * with your ISP details)
> Force SMTP Reply-To:  my gmail email address, eg: waffle1 at gmail.com
> <mailto:waffle1 at gmail.com> (note: this is not my real gmail address)
> POP3 Server:  The POP3 server I intend to use, eg: pop.gmail.com
> POP3 Username:  my gmail POP3 username, eg: waffle1 at gmail.com
> <mailto:waffle1 at gmail.com>
> POP3 Password:  my gmail password
> POP3 Poll interval:  I set this to 2 minutes for initial testing, then
> increased it to 10 minutes for day to day stuff.
> POP3 Port:   Some POP3 systems requre usage of SSL (Secure Socket
> Layers).  For gmail.com set this to 995
> Socket flush interval:  didn't touch from initial settings
> Outgoing:  didn't touch from initial settings
> Incoming:   didn't touch from initial settings
>
> If you setup something like a gmail address and you don't want to keep a
> copy of the email on the POP server then make sure you configure the
> account so that when you access it via POP (eg: through D-RATS) that
> it deletes it from the POP server.  Otherwise your account may have many
> messages stored on it that are no longer required.

This is a great write-up, thanks!

I think something like this should absolutely go on the wiki, if you're
up for it :)

I'm really serious about redesigning the configuration dialog box soon.
  I'd definitely like some input from people about how we can make it
more organized and user-friendly.  Right now there are tool-tips to help
explain things, but that isn't much information.

My thoughts are to have a tree structure on the left-hand side so that
we can break the configuration into smaller groups.  That way we can
have things grouped into more consistent panes.

Maybe I'll try to do some mock-ups before going too deep and post some
screenshots for comments :)

Thanks Dave!