[drats_users] D-RATS RSS Feeds

Dan Smith
Tue Oct 7 17:13:49 PDT 2008

Hi Barry,

> I don't think it prudent to try to load down D-STAR with data feeds
> already developed for other systems like the NOAA Weather feed. We
> already have EMWIN which is available to parse out weather data from
> the National Weather Service tailored to your individual needs.

I am not trying to "load down" D-STAR with anything.  I'm just trying to
create a useful tool for myself and others.  RSS support has been a
requested feature since literally the very first time I presented D-RATS
to a group of hams.  There are an enormous number of uses for feed
support other than weather alerts.

> I actually use the program InterWarn by Storm Alert Inc. which does
> pretty much the same for the weather feeds as does RealEMWIN. Since
> these programs already make the data available via radio, users could
> adapt those programs to meet their own needs. Perhaps users could
> just use the output of one of these programs to parse out local
> severe storm and weather related warning via D-STAR... but again we
> already have EMWIN and NOAA Weather Radios!

InterWarn is neither free nor cross-platform.  There are lots of ways to
get information into D-RATS from external applications, and I'm adding
more all the time.  If you would rather use output from your app for
your QSTs, please do.  That's why I added the "Exec" QST type :)

> I for one would rather see you using your energy in perfecting chat,
> message and file transfers in the D-STAR arena. Perhaps including
> forward error correcting, multiple message addressees etc.

Thanks for that input.  Adding the RSS and CAP stuff was about half a
plane ride.  The work I have planned for multicast is several orders of
magnitude more work.

Also, the recent RSS feature request came from someone with a
substantial amount of karma and was prioritized appropriately.

> I know you have the Colorado D-STAR Group on the edge of our seats
> with every release checking out and testing your software. I really
> like your position look up feature... I just haven't been able to get
> the program to see my AirCard GPS data feed because the port speed
> doesn't appear to be configurable to different rates on different COM
> ports.

As was previously discussed on this list, 4800 baud is the NMEA
standard.  If your GPS uses a different baudrate, then it's quite likely
that it doesn't conform to the standard and won't work anyway.  However,
I will be sure to add a speed selection box in the next beta so you have
the opportunity to test it.

> I have also caught wind of something called CHIRP but couldn't find
> it anywhere. Is this a program which will allow transfer of
> programming data between and IC-92AD and other D-STAR radios>

Yes (with the current exception of the 2200).  It's very early in
development, but you can get it here:

  http://chirp.danplanet.com

Be gentle, patient, and forgiving with it.  Oh, and backup your radios
first :)