[drats_users] D-Rats and the GPS functions

Tony Langdon, VK3JED
Wed Nov 19 17:37:23 PST 2008

At 12:19 PM 11/20/2008, you wrote:
> > I think he's asking whether you could hook D-RATS into a TNC and make
> > it work over AX.25 packet radio, rather than using a D-STAR radio.
>
>Ah, okay.
>
>D-RATS assumes a bare serial line to do its work.  Its protocol does
>much of what the TNC and AX.25 do, which is handle retransmits and error
>detection.  I don't know much about packet, but if there is any way to
>get a bare serial line (real or simulated) across the packet connection,
>then you could conceivably use D-RATS across it.  In other words, you
>can use D-RATS with a NULL modem cable; it doesn't have to be a D-STAR
>radio specifically.

You would have to manually setup the TNC and any connections first,
but once setup, the connection would be suitable for chat.  I
wouldn't attempt file transfer on it for a multitude of reasons (not
the least of which is the timing is going to be way out of whack).

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com