[drats_users] GPS Reciever Question

Adam Karsin
Fri Dec 26 08:32:56 PST 2008

Ok, here is where I am at so far....

I dug through the garage and found an old Garmin GPS 45. I did a little
research and found that it WILL do NMEA 0183 out.  I'm currently trying to
test the unit to see if it actually works. If it does I have located the
power/data cable locally (West Marine and Boaters World).

So here comes the $64,000.00 questions...

how do I build the appropriate cable and adaptor to make it work with the
IC-91AD?

Will the cable interface directly to the radio or will it connect to the
programming cable?

I will openly admit that I am not very good at this and may ask a bunch more
questions before this is all over!! Hi hi !

I honestly appreciate everyone that has provided input for this. It is nice
to see that so many folks are willing to offer up assistance.

73,

Adam

KG4WWH

Ps, I may be on the NI4CE  G later driving around with my laptop to field
test the USB GPS and see if that actually works or if I was just getting
location information at my house because it was previously entered into the
D-RATS system.

  _____