[drats_users] Simultainious voice and data

Dave Cooley
Thu Dec 11 19:25:28 PST 2008

Just as an FYI for those who wish to send data simultainiously with voice;
If you are sending a form or file (or any type of transfer that requires
ack-nak) you may want to up your block size as only the first pipeline will
be sent while transmitting voice. In other words, no matter how long your
voice transmission is DRATS will wait for the recieving sttaion to
acknowledge receipt and then continue the transfer. This is only a factor
when sending to a specific station. Sending in the broadcast mode is not
effected by this.
This was discovered while trying to send a Radiogram and block size was set
to 512/4 . Thinking I had made the voice qso long enough I was suprised when
the radio keyed 4 more times (as it only sent the first 512). If you are
going to send forms at the same time as voice, up your block size to
accomodate the size of the form.

Comments Dan?

Dave Cooley
N4DIB