[drats_users] D-RATS 0.2.8b8

Dan Smith
Sat Dec 6 07:50:17 PST 2008

Hi all,

I just posted D-RATS 0.2.8b8.  Not much in the way of noticeable changes
in this release, but some packaging stuff that is worthy of another
round of testing.  This release was supposed to just be the big
configuration dialog change, but stretched on and on because of an
influx of feature requests early on, and a lack of my time to work on it
at the end.  So, I'd like to call this the official 0.2.8 if possible,
and would appreciate a final smoke test to make sure it's okay.  I think
that W4CPU and IZ5FSA are the two that will care about this the most.
The changes are:

- Fix (hopefully) a GPS parsing bug
- Vastly improve the packaging on linux

Linux users now have an install process (and soon may have RPMs and DEBs
as well).  To install using the new method, download and unpack the tar
file per normal.  Then go in and execute the installer:

  $ cd d-rats-0.2.8b8
  $ sudo python setup.py install

If you're already root, you can omit the "sudo".  Assuming this process
succeeds, you should get all three applications in the "HamRadio"
section of your applications menu.  I would appreciate reports from
people using various distros as that will help me know that it's working
properly.