[drats_users] GPS 18 PC Serial

Dan Smith
Tue Dec 2 08:12:25 PST 2008

> And Im connected to COM3 and the gps is on it works fine with nRoute
> a program for the gps 18.  Some times I can get it to talk to d-rats
> by turnning it off and on and restarting cpu, some times that will
> work other times it wont.

Hmm, that sounds strange.  Is this a USB GPS?  Having to restart it
makes it sound like it's jumping around COM ports at times or something.

The log file will at least indicate parse errors if it's receiving
something from the GPS that it can't identify.  The log you sent me
before indicated it wasn't receiving anything at all from the GPS.

When you have D-RATS connected to the GPS, you don't have anything else
trying to open that COM port, right?

> Also I can set the strings I want it to send out, if you let me know
> what d-rats likes I can put it on them strings which im sure its just
> the default strings for nmea compliant gps's.

As long as the GPS is set to NMEA then you should be fine.