[chirp_users] Baofeng : I have 2 new 888-S radios. I can't download from either radio. My port is correct and I can do other radios. The instruction is to use, BF-888 for the 888-S. I am very familiar with Chirp and should not have any problem with the software. Thanks; Frank

Jerry Kuhn email at jerrykuhn.net
Tue Mar 5 21:45:49 PST 2024

BF-888S.  I had/have one of those cheap BF-888S’s that absolutely refused to work with chirp no matter what OS I used it what cable (FTDI, Prolific, CH340).  I tried every combination of MacOS, Win, Linux, Raspbian and cable.  No go on all.  I concluded that the module likely just wasn’t compatible with it.  As I have other 888S’s thst work fine, I suspect there are at least two variants in he wild.  Some of the 888S’s can be forced to receive vhf, while others can’t.  Perhaps even though they lack all the supporting hardware, some are using a dualband chip (?).  Couldn’t tell you why chirp didn’t work with it, but tell you that I was able I use the BF-480 CPS fine with it to get it programmed,

After programming it using the BF-480 CPS, I ended up just modifying it to make an AllStar nixed radio out of it for my car.  Works like a charm.  I have an LTE iPad Air running if car’s 12V hidden under seat providing WiFi for the node (BF-888S+RPi3+DMK-URI) that I use my Yaesu 8900R mobile with.

The cheap 888S’s that can can be forced to received vhf are good to receive NWS, 2m repeaters, and I suppose you could use one also to put together a little igate, but I wouldn’t ever TX on it.

HTH in at least getting it programmed.
All the best…

Sent from my iPhone Pro Max