[chirp_users] Programming assistance

Jim Unroe
Wed Jan 31 12:47:03 PST 2024

Hi Bennie,

On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 5:40 AM Bennie Potgieter
<potgieterbarends4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gooday
>
> I used this unit to get a a channel from a radio on a repeater is this the transmit or receive channel and the CT tone is positive I think how do I get te other channel end how do I feed it Manuel and with Chirp into my UV5R?

First you have to realize that the frequency transmitted from the
source radio is probably not going to be perfect. And second, the
cheap rike frequency counter (I have one, too) is probably not going
to be 100% accurate. Knowing this, the actual frequency would most
likely be 464.375.

Since the frequency captured is from a transmitting radio, the
frequency is the transmit frequency of the user (the repeater's RX
frequency). In the only document that I have been able to find with
464.375 being used as a repeater frequency, the repeater's TX
frequency is 5.000 MHz (which is common for UHF repeaters in the USA).

It is obvious that a 118.8 Hz CTCSS tone is being transmitted to the
repeater. It would make sense to assume that this is required to
access the repeater. It is possible that the repeater doesn't require
a tone, but in that case, transmitting one anyway won't hurt anything.

If the repeater doesn't require a tone and/or doesn't transmit one
back (or transmits a different CTCSS tone or even a DCS code), then
copy-and-pasting the following into CHIRP-next should work.
[454.375000/+5.000/118.8]

If the repeater does transmit a 118.8 CTCSS tone back to the user then
copy-and-pasting the following into CHIRP-next should work.
[454.375000/+5.000/118.8/118.8]

I would copy-and-paste both into CHIRP creating 2 channels that you
can test with.

Just note that depending on where in the world you are located, it may
not be legal for you to transmit with your radio on that frequency so
any transmission that you may make is solely your responsibility.