[chirp_users] Entering airband frequencies

Roland Welte
Mon Jan 15 15:25:37 PST 2024

Hi Jim KC9HI

Thanks so much for your help.

I loaded test module 11046 and I ran an initial test with my 5RX radio. So far so good. I could enter airband frequencies and upload them to the radio. What does not work is entering frequencies from the FM radio band (65-108 MHz). This results in an "Invalid Entry" error message. I have attached a debug report.

Thanks again,
Roland

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Jim Unroe
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2024 2:12 PM
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Entering airband frequencies

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 4:55 PM Roland Welte <roland.welte at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> Dear Chirp Community,
>

> I am using Chirp Next with a BAOFENG 5RX radio. Since this particular radio is not among the supported devices I select radio BAOFENG UV-5R, which generally works fine. However, the 5RX radio covers airband frequencies (108-136 MHz) which the UV-5R does not, so Chirp won’t let me enter airband frequencies (although downloading these frequencies from the radio works fine). Is there a trick to circumvent Chirp’s validity checks when entering frequencies?
>

> Your help with this is very much appreciated,
>
> Roland

The UV-5R support is limited to the bands that the radio supports. But there is currently development going on for this model and a test driver module available for testing and feedback. Searching the CHIRP Activity page with '5rx' will currently bring up the active issue
(#11046) at the top of the list. I have provided a direct link to the ticket below.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/11046

The current vendor/device selections are currently Baofeng / UV-5RX but I have plans to change that to '5RX' with the next test build or submission.

Please test the driver module and provide feedback.