[chirp_users] programming assistance

Jim Unroe
Wed Jan 10 05:15:05 PST 2024

On Wed, Jan 10, 2024 at 7:10 AM Rich NE1EE <TheDustyKey at imaginarian.org> wrote:

> Not sure in what way Excel is not compatible with chirp? I am using it as I develop and share a list of Emergency Op Ctr channels. The initial pass consisted of reading from a IC-2100H (most of the local EOCs are using this), saving both img and csv, editing the csv in Excel, and using the results to upload to the 2100. I didn't have a problem...maybe the error is radio-dependent? I think I have asked this before, and I need to develop a process for others in the area to follow, so I am curious about this.
>
> 73 Rich NE1EE
> The Dusty Key
> On the banks of the Piscataqua
>
> On 2024-01-09 20:21:, D.J.J. Ring, Jr. wrote:
> >csv files are just spreadsheet files - you can edit them with LibreOffice (don't use Excel as it's not compatible with CHIRP).

CHIRP CSV files often have multiple trailing commas at the end of each
line due to the URXALL, RPT1CALL, RPT2CALL and DVCODE fields rarely
being used.

Power,Comment,URCALL,RPT1CALL,RPT2CALL,DVCODE
5.00,,Low,,,,,

Excel is known to remove multiple trailing commas at the end of a
line. When CHIRP reads the CSV file where the trailing commas have
been removed, the trailing data will be read into the wrong fields.

Excel always works fine if there is alway something in the last field
of each line. I've read that there is a setting that you can enable in
excel that tells it to leave trailing commas alone. I don't have excel
so I can't verify this.

Perhaps it would be possible to have CHIRP always resync with the
beginning of the CSV file's next line when a linefeed is encountered?