[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R menu locked

Jim Unroe rock.unroe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 08:14:12 PST 2024

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 9:27 AM Massimo Nespolo
<massimo.nespolo at orange.fr> wrote:

> Greetings from France.
>
> When I first got my UV-5R, the channel programming with CHIRP was
> performed by a friend, who locked the menu button to prevent a beginner
> like me to make any mistake which could have screwed the programming.
>
> Now I would like to unlock the menu, but I cannot figure out how to do
> it. I did quite a lot of internet research, but I could only find
> duplicate tutorials on how to lock the pad with the key button. That
> is not what I am looking for, of course. The menu button is
> unresponsive, I would like to unlock it.
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.

Just for clarification, unless you have one of the radios that can
disable the user from accessing VFO (frequency) mode, such as the F11,
UV-82C or UV-82HP, and the the menus were disabled with the radio in
MR (channel) node, then there is no way to prevent the radio's user
from accessing any of the menus. They are only disabled while the
radio is in MR mode. All that needs to be done to access any menu is
to switch to VFO mode (where all menus are always accessible no matter
if they have been "disabled", or not).

To enable the settings that disable the "RESET Menu" setting and the
"All Menus" setting using CHIRP you tick the following settings.

Settings -> Advanced Settings -> RESET Menu
Settings -> Advanced Settings -> All Menus