[chirp_users] Baofeng 'waterproof' models

d at deutrino.net d at deutrino.net
Mon Feb 26 16:57:08 PST 2024

Hi folks, and thanks to Jim and others for prior answers.

I am looking for recommendations of a Baofeng 'waterproof' model that meets these criteria:

  * dual-band and TX capable (or unlockable) over a range similar to old-school UV-5R
  * mature CHIRP driver and/or minimal history of firmware quirks
  * USB charging by port in the radio itself (no barrel plug dongles) if available

I got a couple UV-9R Pro but found they have issues thus far, not sure if CHIRP related, hardware related, or other, but it rules that model out until I can figure out what the problem is.

I got three GT-3WP and so far, while two of them work great, it looks like I got three models with three sets of quirks (one of those being the null set, but still, it doesn't inspire confidence)

I got a UV-9R Plus and was afraid to program it for several months after the UV-9R Pro problems, I finally did so today, and it appears to work perfectly. But there's always the question of what will happen with the next one.

I understand these are very inexpensive radios and there is always going to be a nonzero chance of getting one with strange new firmware. I'm basically just looking for people's input on what they see as the most solid choice in a 'waterproof' unit (yes I know they are only water resistant) from the Baofeng brand, preferably with built-in USB charge capability, with the lowest chance of upsetting surprises when I attempt to program it with CHIRP.

And again. I know they are cheap radios. The next phase of my project is finding something that does all of the above (including a TX range comparable to the UV-5R), but with higher build quality and better durability. Feel free to pipe up if you have recommendations for that, too. Although for right now I am specifically looking at Baofengs.

Thanks again. This is a very helpful group.