[chirp_users] Baofeng GT-3WP errata

Jim Unroe
Fri Feb 2 16:55:36 PST 2024

On Fri, Feb 2, 2024 at 7:35 PM <d at deutrino.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 20:06:33 -0500, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > 1. only 6 character channel names!
> >
> > If only 6 characters appear, then this is because the radio's firmware
> > limits the display to only supporting 6 characters. This is common for
> > these so-called 'waterproof' models. Because of this, the default name
> > length configured in the driver is 6 characters. Then for the few
> > models that have been found to support 7 characters, the name length
> > is expanded to 7 characters. The GT-3WP is one that is set to 7.
>
> That's what seems strange to me, out of desperation I dug in to the CHIRP source as installed via 'pip' thinking I could change this to 7, and found that like you say it was already set to 7, but I seem to have a GT-3WP on hand which truncates them to 6. I picked it up used, no idea how old it is.

Exactly. It is a function of the hardware. Baofeng only cares that the
hardware supports 6 characters because the OEM software has always
only supported 6 characters.

> I have two more GT-3WPs coming in the mail soon, so I'll shortly see if I can reproduce it on either of the others.
>
> > > 2. the 'B' or lower channel is set incorrectly compared to the intended setting in CHIRP.
> >
> > How so? The code that handles this is quite mature and has been
> > working satisfactorily for around 8 years. Usually when someone thinks
> > one or both display lines are not working as they expect, it is what
> > they expect that is incorrect. So please explain here what you think
> > is not working or go ahead and open a ticket. Your choice.
>
> It's been a couple weeks since I tested it, I was under the impression that there was an offset being applied to the lower channel, e.g. setting 30 actually sets 10, 35 sets 15, etc. But I'll re-do my tests and characterize the issue fully and open a ticket. This is the same GT-3WP that only accepts 6-character channel names. It was apparently in use at a fire station before I got it and came to me with some presets programmed, I'll include the backups etc.

There is only a single bank of 128 channels. CHIRP equally programs
all 128 (0-127) in the same way. The only permanent difference between
them is the memory/channel number.

Both display lines (A and B) have equal access to the 128 memories. It
is the hardware that chooses which channel to access and display, not
CHIRP. So if the same channel is selected in both display lines, the
content in each must be exactly the same. The only difference would be
which Memory Display Format you chose for how to present the memory in
each display line: by CHannel number, NAME or FREQuency.