[chirp_users] Baofeng BF-C50 & Serial Sniffing

KC9MHE Eric Muehlstein
Mon Sep 18 11:37:56 PDT 2023

Hi All,

I'm working to discover the cloning protocol for the Baofeng BF-C50.  I
have the OEM programming software installed in a Win11 VM and I can
read/write the memory from the radio.  Despite trying several tools, I
can't find a solution which allows me to sniff both the RX and TX of a
serial connection in Win11 for ARM.

https://github.com/emuehlstein/baofeng_bfc50

Instead, I've started a couple of Python scripts which emulate one side or
the other and I've been slowly teasing data out of the radio and
programmer.  As is, my fake programmer sends the 4 byte initialization
string the radio expects, the radio replies with 12 bytes, the programmer
ACKs that and the radio sends a bunch more bytes but not enough bytes to be
the full memory.

Any recommendations for a serial sniffing tool which will work in a Win11
Parallels VM?  Recommendations on how to proceed with the script to
discovering the rest of the download routine?

Thanks,

Eric
KC9MHE