[chirp_users] Chirp will not install

Dan Smith
Fri Oct 20 14:11:02 PDT 2023

> No, Marc, it's not necessicarily a PC issue. We don't know yet, because when he responds he has yet to give us the Type of Windows 10 he is running.

The installer is 32-bit and will run just fine on even a pretty old machine (32-bit and Windows XP), so there's really nothing about his system being incompatible that should be causing the behavior he's seeing. Thus, knowing the architecture and version of his OS is pretty immaterial at this point. I'd place serious money on it being some sort of "security" software killing the installer as soon as it sees it do something totally legit that it decides is suspicious.

For the rest of the readers in this thread, the installer we use is a separate thing and not under the direct control of the CHIRP project. It's a 32-bit application because it doesn't need to be a 64-bit one and gives the best opportunity to run everywhere as a result. However, I'm working on adding an architecture and OS version check to the script so that it will positively identify these unsupported situations in the future. That will rule out any need to suspect these sorts of issues when someone reports a problem.

--Dan