[chirp_users] UV-5RIII better with older software

Jim Unroe
Fri Oct 6 05:04:22 PDT 2023

>  Three years later, I finally find a reason to try and transmit, having forgotten that I disabled TX. I grab a new CHIRP (next-20231003), find that the recommended model is the Radioddity UV-5RX3, and have at it. Turns out I can program up the channels and edit a few of the settings page entries, but I:
>  - cannot re-enable TX on either band listed
>  - change the greeting messages

This is because some of the latest radios have some issues when
reading/writing to the Aux memory area that the current CHIRP-next is
trying to avoid. Using the legacy CHIRP (or one of the earlier
CHIRP-next) version on one of these radios will allow the radio to
blank out or scramble it Aux memory area.

I have been developing a work-around for the problem. Two weeks ago I
attached what was my proposed fix to issue #10505 and have been
waiting for feedback from testors. So far there has been none. In the
meantime I have been doing my own testing which uncovered additional
behavior that needed to be addressed. This latest version was just
attached a few minutes ago.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/10505#note-102