[chirp_users] This is exactly what I'm talking about...

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Thu Nov 30 02:30:28 PST 2023

Also you seem to be installing as root.
I think that will not work.

Also if your using distros with the managed flag (Ubuntu 23.04, Debian 11
and later) You must use pipx to install chirp separated from the system
python environment. However, because some libraries from the system
environment are required (packages from above) you must use the flag to
enable their use. Use of the wheel download is recommended.

NOTE THESE STEPS ARE DONE AS USER ACCOUNT NOT ROOT ACCOUNT.

pip install pipx
pipx install --system-site-packages ./chirp-20230509-py3-none-any.whl

The instructions are here:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/ChirpOnLinux

It seems that if you want to have separate users for amateur radio, and
GMRS you'll have to do two installations as Chirp is installed as user not
root.

In other words, it cannot be installed for all users system wide.

Best regards,
David N1EA