[chirp_users] I give Up !!! Please go back to C...

Mark Hartong
Thu Nov 30 00:13:22 PST 2023

Previous version used Python 2, which has functions that were depreciated and are no longer supported., making a change necessary  Changing to Python 3 would seem to have been a "natural" decision.  C is a more powerful and efficient language than Python, but it is also more difficult to learn and use. It is a good choice for tasks that require a lot of performance, such as operating system development and embedded systems development.  However Python has a number of advantages over C. These include:

-Ease of learning: Python is a very easy language to learn and does not require the same level of expertise .This is because it has a simple syntax and a large number of built-in functions. C, on the other hand, is a more complex language with a more difficult syntax.

-Readability: Python code is very easy to read, even for people who are not familiar with the language. This is because it uses a lot of whitespace and indentation to make the code more visually appealing. C code, on the other hand, is more difficult to read because it does not use as much whitespace and indentation.

-Portability: Python is a very portable language, which means that it can be run on a wide variety of platforms. This is because Python programs are interpreted, rather than compiled. C code, on the other hand, must be compiled for the specific platform on which it will be run.

-Large standard library: Python has a large standard library, which includes a wide variety of modules for common tasks such as file I/O, networking, and web development. C, on the other hand, has a much smaller standard library.

-Object-oriented: Python is an object-oriented language, which means that it supports the concept of objects. Objects are self-contained units of data and code that can be used to model real-world objects. C is not an object-oriented language, so it does not support the concept of objects.

-Garbage collection: Python has automatic garbage collection, which means that the programmer does not need to worry about manually freeing memory. C, on the other hand, does not have garbage collection, so the programmer must manually free memory.

-Interpreted: Python is an interpreted language, which means that it is not compiled into machine code before it is run. This makes Python programs more portable than C programs, which must be compiled for the specific platform on which they will be run.

-Dynamic typing: Python is a dynamically typed language, which means that variables do not need to be declared with a type before they are used. C, on the other hand, is a statically typed language, which means that variables must be declared with a type before they are used.

-Duck typing: Python supports duck typing, which means that objects can be used if they have the required methods, regardless of their type. C does not support duck typing, so objects can only be used if they are of the correct type.

-Large community: Python has a large and active community of developers, which means that there is a lot of support available for the language. C also has a large community of developers, but it is not as active as the Python community.

On 11/30/23, 8:51 AM, "Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF" <chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com <mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com> on behalf of nigel at ngunn.net <mailto:nigel at ngunn.net>> wrote:

> On 30/11/2023 07:47 GMT Bruce <kb6lwn at qso.com <mailto:kb6lwn at qso.com>> wrote:
>

> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/home/sysop/.local/bin/chirp", line 8, in <module>
> sys.exit(chirpmain())
> File "/home/sysop/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/chirp/wxui/__init__.py", line 65, in chirpmain
> import wx
> File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/wx/__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
> from wx.core import *
> File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/wx/core.py", line 12, in <module>
> from ._core import *
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'wx._core'
>
> --
>

> 73 4 Now,
> Bruce

Nigel A. Gunn, ///shoulders.outwards.resolutions tel +1-937-971-0366
Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF and GMRS WRBV701, e-mail nigel at ngunn.net <mailto:nigel at ngunn.net> www http://www.ngunn.net <http://www.ngunn.net>