[chirp_users] Chirp On Puppy Linux

Stuart Longland VK4MSL
Tue Mar 28 15:02:48 PDT 2023

On Tue, 28 Mar 2023 12:24:07 -0400
John KB2SCS <kb2scsjb at gmail.com> wrote:

> For your help with my problem. The flavor of puppy Linux I am using is the
> Ubuntu derivative called Fossapup.
> Puppy does not have the apt command. In order to install libraries/packages
> you use the puppy package manager to search and install packages from the
> Ubuntu depositories. I think I have installed all the libraries I need.

Okay, bit strange… Ubuntu is a Debian derivative, therefore uses `apt`,
so as an Ubuntu derivative, there should be an `apt` binary installed.

But, I digress…

> I would like to run chirp from the command line with the following command.
> Python3 Chirpw.py
> Or
> Python3 chirpwx.py

Okay, watch case sensitivity here; most installs on Python (even on
Windows) use a lower case `python`, and all Linux distributions are
case-sensitive.  `python3` should work, but `Python3` will likely yield
a "command not found".

Similarly with file names; `Chirpw.py` won't work if the file is
actually called `chirpw.py`.  I know it sounds pedantic, but on Unix
variants, it matters.

> Which ever is the new file name. In the  chirp-20230328.tar.gz
> file that I downloaded and extracted does not have chirpw.py or chirpwx.py
>
> Is it no longer possible to run chirp via the python interpreter  running
> the source code like you were able to run the legacy python 2 version of
> chirp?

The git repository does have a `chirpwx.py`.  This seems to not be
distributed in the tarball.  That said, you can still run Chirp from
the unpacked tarball:

I downloaded
https://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_next/next-20230328/chirp-20230328.tar.gz
-- for reference, here's the checksum to confirm you got the same file
I did.

$ sha256sum /tmp/chirp-20230328.tar.gz
5e4ce5f2eef80fec7a5d7e47383c99957c16a31df2f8b4a705fab0c50090ce5a  /tmp/chirp-20230328.tar.gz

I unpacked it with `tar -xzf chirp-20230328.tar.gz`; that created a
`chirp-20230328` sub-directory.  Indeed, if I enter that directory and do a `ls`, there's no
`chirpwx.py`.  I had a look though, there's a `chirp/wxui` sub-directory though, so I tried:

$ python3 -m chirp.wxui

The Chirp window appeared.  So you might be able to run it that way.

That said, the safer approach may be to run `python3 setup.py install
--user` and run it via whatever scripts that creates in your
`~/.local/bin` directory (or via desktop icons).
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.