[chirp_users] Chirp-Next updates?

Dan Smith
Wed Mar 22 17:08:38 PDT 2023

> OK Chip, that's good to know in case I have to revert back to
> the snap-installed version.

The snap and flatpak were largely created for legacy chirp because the distros were removing the underlying platform that we had to use, and those formats provided us a way to bundle them. There are other reasons to run those packages, but for modern chirp-next, I really think you should install from source and follow our instructions here:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/ChirpOnLinux

It's validated on ubuntu and derivatives (and now Fedora, thanks to Jeff) so it should work for you. It's much easier to iterate on problems you have when starting from a known-working formula than going it alone.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think the snap that Tony is publishing is still legacy chirp, so installing it will set you back a lot from where everyone else is right now.

--Dan