[chirp_users] Support of radio

Jim Unroe
Fri Mar 10 14:15:55 PST 2023

On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 4:40 PM Jeffrey Vian
<sandhillsinvestment at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a new baofeng that was just given to me.
> The radio is UV-82L and was purchased by my ARC 2 or 3 years ago and programmed using chirp at that time.
>
> I wanted to update the programming but have  not been able to do so with either chirp-next or the legacy chirp that is on the download site.
>
> The individual that originally programmed it does not remember which type of radio he used for the original programming.
>
> So far I have tried every supported baofeng model and the radioddity models as well but none are able to download the existing programming so it could be modified and updated.
>
> Does anyone have a clue if chirp is even able to communicate with this radio today? and if so then what brand/model should be used to do so?  The club still has several of these that are used as door prizes and for club use.
>
> Jeff
> KI7GJG

The battery that comes with the UV-82 radio has always been
mis-labeled as far as the battery capacity is concerned. Most stock
batteries are labeled 2800 mAh even though the actual capacity is 1800
mAh.

Back in 2013 when the UV-82L was released, the original vendor had
decided they wanted their battery mis-labeled to an even higher value
(3000 mAh) and had the "L" added to the model to indicate that it came
with the "larger" battery. LOL

So there is absolutely nothing different about the UV-82 and UV-82L
radio body (or the battery for that matter). The correct vendor/model
to use for this radio is Baofeng / UV-82.

The problem that many have is that the metal pins of the programming
cable stick in the metal rings of the socket the radio. They stick so
solid that you will think the plug is fully inserted into the socket
when it isn't. It took me a few times to get the knack of getting it
seated the first time, every time.

Assuming that you have a working programming cable, once you get the
plug fully inserted into the radio I am sure that CHIRP will be able
to program it for you.