[chirp_users] Prolific Chip On Windows 11

Jim Unroe
Thu Mar 2 17:50:13 PST 2023

On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 8:10 PM Anthony (N2KI) <n2ki.ham at gmail.com> wrote:

> I plugged a Baofeng programming cable into a laptop running Windows 11 but Win11 does not have the drivers to support it.  Anyone have a programming cable that works on both Windows 10 and 11?
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony (N2KI)

The PL2303HXA and PL2303TA chips that are common in programming cables
are considered EOL (end of life) by the Prolific company. The driver
that they supply to Microsoft to be installed by Windows is written to
ignore the HXA and TA chips. To use your current programming cable all
that you have to do is download, install and select the older (from
2007) Prolific v3.2.0.0 driver. This is what I have been doing for
over 10 years. A link for the driver and instructions for installing
it are on the Miklor website.
https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

Another solution is to purchase another programming cable that was
manufactured with a USB-to-Serial chip from any other chip vendor
besides Prolific (FTDI, Silicon Labs and WCH). It is rarely mentioned
in a listing which chip is in the cable when a Silicon Labs or WCH
chip is used. It is almost always mentioned listing when an FTDI chip
is used. So I recommend looking for a programming cable with an FTDI
chip.