[chirp_users] Errors when trying to read from Icom IC-92AD

Joe Martine
Thu Jun 15 04:34:33 PDT 2023

I have recently gotten back to playing with my radios after a few years
(too many hobbies!) and was pleased to find Chirp can work with all of
them.  At this point I've successfully read and reprogrammed several radios
but my IC-92AD is not cooperating.

I have the Icom programming cable and have tried reading its memory on Mac,
Win and Linux with roughly the same result.  Chirp reads data, but with
lots of errors.  Mac/Linux seem most successful, with just a few memory
channels marked in red, Windows fails on almost all.  But even the channels
that do get read aren't quite right.  There may be duplicated channel
numbers, one blank the other with a frequency in it.  The channel numbers
may be out of order.  Or some have incorrect data.

A screenshot of one read attempt (this morning):
http://www.n5usr.net/images/230615_chirp/92ADLive_230615.png

Note for memories 21-27, that block is actually all FRS frequencies.  The
ham repeater entries are valid entries but they are NOT in memory locations
21 / 23 / 25 / 27.

I also made a log file for one run (not this morning's, but similar
results):
http://www.n5usr.net/images/230615_chirp/IC92AD.log

Am I doing something wrong?  Perhaps a setting in the radio that needs to
be changed?  I've looked through the options and nothing strikes me as
likely but you never know...

Chirp version is: CHIRP next-20230608 on all three platforms.

Thanks,
Joe