[chirp_users] Yaesu FT-90 cable question

Dan Smith
Mon Jun 5 15:50:30 PDT 2023

> Absent any first-hand experience, I think I'll try manual programming for local repeaters, and if that gets too tedious, I'll just order the BlueMax49ers cable.

I don't have first-hand experience, but I can offer second-hand experience recently. When converting the ft90 driver for chirp-next, I was working with a guy and we did get it working, so I think it's fine. It's not a popular (or common) radio and the driver doesn't support more than basic memory editing, but did seem to work.

That said, I would encourage you to not cheap out on a cable (which you seem to realize is smart) on this one, even more so than normal. The ft90 is a weird arrangement where it requires power from the computer on one of the signal lines to work properly. Most radios only use a two or three-wire connection for the data lines, but this requires one of the hardware signaling lines. So, BlueMax49ers is the way to go, IMHO.

--Dan