[chirp_users] Another group besides dialout

Stuart Longland VK4MSL
Sun Jun 4 18:31:10 PDT 2023

On 5/6/23 10:41, Rev. Fr. Robert Bower wrote:
> I am running chirp-next the june 3rd version on ubuntu 22.04. I am a
> member of the dialout group.  I cannot connect to my FT-65 unless I
> run chirp with sudo, so I have some type of permissions issue.
>
> Is there another group I need to add myself to?

I would do a `ls -l` on the specific serial device your FT-65 enumerates
as.  It might not be `dialout`, but some other group name, `uucp` maybe?

As a temporary work-around, you could try running `sudo chmod 0666
${device}` before running `chirpw` or `chirpc` and see if that allows
you to run the tool as a plain user.

If that command "fixes it", then the permanent fix is to configure
`udev` to recognise it, and assign correct ownership/permissions.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
   ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.