[chirp_users] Upgrading CHIRP on Ubuntu 23.04?

Jon Gauthier
Fri Jun 2 08:05:51 PDT 2023

Thanks for the response, David.

But the instructions as written, do not work for Ubuntu 23.04 (Lunar Lobster).
Now, I do realize that 23.04 is not an LTS (long-term-support) version of
Ubuntu, so it may have its quirks.

But the upgrade instructions, as written, do not work:

"Once chirp is properly installed, upgrades to newer versions are done with two
simple steps:

1. Download the newer .tar.gz file.
2. Run pip install --upgrade ./chirp-<version>.whl (use pipx if you used it
above)

First of all, they tell you to download the .tar.gz file instead of the
preferred .whl file.

Secondly, pipx does not have a --upgrade option to the "install" verb. Instead,
it uses the verb "upgrade". But as I noted in my initial post, when I tried:

"pipx upgrade ./chirp-20230601-py3-none-any.whl"

it responded:
"'chirp' already seems to be installed. Not modifying existing
installation in '/home/jon/.local/pipx/venvs/chirp'. Pass '--force'
to force installation."

I tried the --force option which "seemed" to install chirp successfully, but
chirp would not load. The only thing that worked was to explicitly uninstall as
I noted in the thread using pipx, then did a fresh install with pipx of the new
version.

It may work fine on an LTS version like Ubuntu 22.04 using pip, but with 23.04
using pipx, I had to uninstall the old version first.

73
Jon KB1HTW