[chirp_users] chirp_users Digest, Vol 169, Issue 5

K0LNY_Glenn
Thu Jan 5 14:43:45 PST 2023

For the developers, I'm wondering if there is a way to make it self-voicing?
I mean, there can be pre-recorded letters and numbers, and words such as
radio models can be spelled out.
Some programs such as rockbox for MP3 players use a utility to generate talk
clips for the menus and the like.
This would allow the visually impaired to continue using this software.
Since the implementation of flatpak, I can no longer use Chirp, unless I run
an old Linux and old Chirp.
Then the sighted would not have to worry about an unpleasant font.

Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave B via chirp_users" <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
To: <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2023 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] chirp_users Digest, Vol 169, Issue 5

Dan.

Why not give people a choice...? Fixed or Variable? Or for that
matter, any font the system knows about? (Like most other software
titles in one form or another...)

Have to say, a fixed width font for me is the way to go in spreadsheets
etc, but I suspect that is not what is being talked about. From the
few screenshots I've seen of the new version, the default UI is very
poor contrast (dark grey on light grey, not good.) (So no doubt making
readability much worse than it otherwise could be.)

Still not got the new version to run yet, so "Devils Advocate" mode at
the moment.
(There again, I never managed to build the old version from source, as I
wanted to do for some work on the Puxing PX-2R driver.)

I now have ...

~$ python3.7 -V
Python 3.7.5

... working, but I suspect something in the chirp blob is dialling up an
earlier version for some reason, and that is preventing the virtual
environment from being correctly created. 2.7 and 3 also exist on this
system (for various odd reasons, Chirp being one!) I like Python as a
language, but the inter-version incompatibilities are becoming a major
issue.

Is it even possible at present to have old and new versions co-existing
on the same system?
(Not urgent, as earlier I know the OS needs upgrading.)

73. Dave G8KBV

--
Created on and sent from a Unix like PC running and using free and open
source software: