[chirp_users] The meaning of CHIRP...

Rich NE1EE
Fri Feb 17 08:39:11 PST 2023

On 2023-02-17 10:43:-0500, you wrote:
>I'm not sure if my screenshot went through. I got a message saying my message was blocked by moderator or something like that. The ai software basically derived its name from the chirp sound a radio makes when communicating.

I recall that when I was a new engineer, my manager told me that I needed to have "projects for score" each year to increase the likelihood of a raise or promotion (or both ;-), AND that the more clever the name of the project, the more likely it was to stick in everyone's mind, and that, too, was taken into account as part of the success of the project. I have followed his advice over the years, even when I started my own consulting company.

CHIRP is so much more memorable than 'repidr', so I think it qualifies. I was on the MMS engineering development and post-launch data analysis team, and always thought that PhDs needed to hire some slug to name their projects. MMS is /so/ forgettable ;-) CHIRP is so memorable :-)

~R~
72/73 de Rich NE1EE
The Dusty Key
On the banks of the Piscataqua