[chirp_users] is chirp_next recommended for production use?

Greg Troxel
Sun Aug 27 16:10:18 PDT 2023

Dan via chirp_users <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> writes:

>> Not important, but I wonder if next going to remain "next" indefinitely.
>> It sort of implies "this is a beta towards a future release”.
>
> Originally I said the plan would be to start calling it daily again,
> but I think it’s probably best to just drop the -next from it and just
> call it “chirp”. The rough plan is to do that at the end of this year.

That sounds great to me.

> I’m surprised you’re still able to build and distribute the components
> required for the legacy version, since they’re all long out of support
> on every other distribution. Thus if I were you I’d just call the
> package of the new stuff “chirp”.

Dependencies are ok, albeit obviously on thin ice:

  py27-serial>=2.7:../../comms/py-serial
  py27-future>=0.18.0:../../devel/py-future
  python27>=2.7.1nb2:../../lang/python27
  py27-libxml2>=2.6.27:../../textproc/py-libxml2
  py27-gtk2>=2.24.0nb43:../../x11/py-gtk2

Yes, I plan to basically update the chirp package away from the old one
to be building the bits in chirp-next, but still called chirp, so I'll
be aligned  with your 2024 naming and users wil just see chirp.

That's all fine but I wanted to ask rather than assume I knew what's
going on, because usually that doesn't go so well!

73 de n1dam