[chirp_users] Windows not showing Ports

Jim Unroe
Mon Apr 17 15:30:15 PDT 2023

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 6:01 PM Ross Kelly <ross80477 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For Archie Miller and Jim Unroe
> Windows 11 Home does not show ports by default.  However, if you open Device Manager and look at the top ribbon; there is a tab called view. Click on view and you will get a dropdown menu.  If you click the option "Show hidden devices" a check mark will appear next to it.  Now, look at the list of devices and you will have a tab for Ports (COM & LPT) displayed in the list.  This should cure most of your problems.

For Ross Kelly
"Hidden devices" are those that have been assigned but are not
currently active. For example, when you remove your programming cable,
it becomes hidden. I rarely use more than one programming cable at a
time so when I am using my Prolific chip based programming cable my
FTDI, Silicon Labs and WCH COM ports are hidden. If I click the option
"Show hidden devices", they will be visible but greyed out.

Jim