[chirp_users] Windows 11

Jim Unroe
Mon Apr 17 08:13:38 PDT 2023

Hi Archie,

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 9:28 AM Archie Miller <w6alm35 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Kem. for speaking up against ranters and those who choose not to gather facts,  I'm 88 yrs old, have been a ham for over 60 yr\s and a\Extra for over 50.  It's sad to see the spirit of ol" Elmer die in our Ham fraternity.  But still thankful to see some still have thar willing spirit.
> THE PROBLEM is this new Dell XPS13
> My previous XPS13 listed under Device Manager a category called Ports
> This new rig does not.
> Under "System Devices" , then under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" are 16 "Hubs"
> Under "System Devices" , there is a "Universal Serial Bus devices"
> Under "System Devices" , there is a "USB Connector managers"
> Device Manager dodes not shows "Ports"
> Yes it is Chirp related, but Chirp is not the problem.
> Archie Miller, D.Min.
> w6alm35 at gmail.com
> www.OrcuttChristian.Org

If there is no branch under "Ports (COM & LPT)", then you don't have a
compatible device driver installed. This will usually be due to one of
these causes...

1. The programming cable has a WCH CH34x type USB-to-Serial chip.
Windows has been known to mistakenly install the Prolific driver when
this chip is present. The workaround is to download and manually
install the latest driver from the chip vendor. Once you have done
this, Windows will load the correct driver when the WCH chip is
present.

2. The programming cable has a Prolific type USB-to-Serial chip. The
PL2302HXA and recently the PL2303TA chips, which are commonly used in
programming cables, are considered EOL (end of life) by the chip
vendor. Support for the HXA chip was removed more than a decade ago
and support for the TA chip was removed recently with v3.8.40.0. The
workaround is to download, install and select the older Prolific
v3.2.0.0 driver.

A link to the WCH download page and a link to the older Prolific
driver and instructions for installing and selecting it are available
on the miklor.com website.

https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php