[chirp_users] Windows 11

Ken Hansen
Wed Apr 5 14:36:11 PDT 2023

That wasn't called for...

The OP had a cable, it worked fine, the. His OS upgraded, and the cable didn't work.

He asked why.

His question was valid, and the fix is straight-forward, as described by myself & others.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to get up on your soap box and preach your "it's cheaper to buy quality products the first time" sermon - many, many manufacturers got 'stung' with counterfeit chips that worked fine until the vendor dropped support for them, requiring unsuspecting buyers to learn about counterfeit chips and installing older drivers.

Now the vendor has convinced MS to bundle a driver with its OS that not only refuses to operate with counterfeit chips, it also announces in the device description that they do not support the particular chip - even genuine chips - under Win 10 or Win 11.

The cable is fine, using it is fine, and "serial-chip shaming" fellow hams is not cool.

Take care,

Ken, N2VIP